Friday, January 22, 2010

The Importance of Trusting Women

This post was written to commemorate the 37th anniversary of Roe v. Wade and participate in NARAL Pro-Choice America’s 5th Annual Blog for Choice Day.

Dr. George Tiller, an abortion provider who was assassinated last June, wore a pin proclaiming "Trust Women". This display of solidarity with and faith in women is striking. Since Dr. Tiller's death, there has been an outpouring of support for him as a response to his work as a courageous physician. Other people who have made a career of providing safe and legal abortions have shared their thoughts and experiences on sites like I am Dr. Tiller. One entry by a social worker states,

"I trust the women I see every day in our clinic. I believe them when they say they can’t support another child, that adoption is a more difficult option than terminating the pregnancy, that their stepfather or uncle raped them, or that they’ve learned that the fetus they thought was growing inside them isn’t anymore. I trust that they are making informed decisions about their body and their life so that I can have that same trust for myself."

This writer's statement sums up the entirety of what Trust Women means to me. We all want to be trusted, especially on the most fundamental level of what we do with our own body. Dr. Tiller acknowledged that a woman's decision to have an abortion needs to be respected. As a women supporting the right to choose, I believe trusting women is one of the most important parts of that right. For that to be to be recognized, even simply by wearing a button, makes me feel proud. The fact that Dr. Tiller proudly and consistently wore that button makes his work all the more noble.

~Rachel

No comments: