Saturday, April 26, 2008

Quick and Quippy: The Weekend Edition

Jessica Valenti recently wrote a fantastic article for the UK Guardian titled "How the web became a sexists' paradise:"

"When women are harassed on the street, it is considered inappropriate. Online, though, sexual harassment is not only tolerated- it's often lauded. Blog threads or forums where women are attacked attract hundreds of comments, and their traffic rates rocket. Is this what people are really like? Sexist and violent? Misogynist and racist?"

I would imagine that anyone with any sort of social-networking account has encountered misogynistic groups, comments, etc.--I know I have. But what do you do when you come across misogyny on the web? Is there any sort of culpability or social etiquette in place that addresses this issue?

Discuss.

1 comment:

R.T. Riveter said...

Unfortunately, anonymity goes a long way. It never ceases to amaze me what people will do or say when they think there is no accountably for their actions. I like to deal with internet sexism the same way I deal with it in every other forum- Call them the F out. When some strange guy puts his arm around at a bar, I let him know that it's inappropriate. When some asshole cat calls me as I walk down the street, same deal. Some shmuck spewing hate words throughout the internet, same deal. Sometimes I educate them gracefully, other times I don't have the patience to explain why their actions are so inconsiderate and offensive in a polite way.

The real problem is that most people see sexism as a non-issue, regardless of the forum.How many times have I heard that women just need to get a sense of humor and stop over reacting. Well, I have a damn good sense of humor, it's just that the constant degrading of women is not particularly funny.